Wednesday, 31 October 2007

Memory

One of the books written by Margaret Mahy, "Memory". explores what memory means to different people. It's about a nineteen year old loser who's trying to come to terms with the unbearable memory of sister's suicide in the family who meets and elderly woman, Sophie who suffers from Alzheimer's disease. Sophie lives in surreal world of missing memories, mistaken identities, misplaced people and a world out of time.As a result of the ensuing relationship between them, he finds the other witness of his sisterr's death,learns to cope with his loss and realises that he can face his haunting memory and move on.

Our memory reminds us of the events, both big and small,happy and sad; people, family and foes alike; places that helped to shape what we are today. We too are part of someone else's memory.

I have been collecting elephant figurines for more than 20 years now. Some colleagues have joked about my elephant-like memory.

Such a memory is both a blessing and a curse. It's a blessing when it helps with studies and work. It's a curse when an unhappy event simmers at the surface and can trigger an emotional outburst any time. When the memory deals with an event in which I had been offended, I can choose to let the unhappiness go or let it remain like a captive bird held in my palm. I choose to let it go. A captive bird held in my palm is going to cause a lot of pain.

No comments: